The building that housed the El Águila stores and the Can Forteza Rey building, located in Plaza del Marqués del Palmer in Palma, are so closely linked that they seem to be one building. They represent different examples of modernist architecture.
A few kilometres away, leaving the town of Sineu, is the Delfa or Adelfa estate, surrounded by extensive farmland and a lush woodland, enclosed within an island made up of the Delfa Houses, a stately home dignifed from the outset by the white marble coat of arms of the Rossinyol family.
One of the few remaining examples of Moslem architecture still preserved on the island, the Arab Baths can be found in the gardens of Can Fontirroig, situated in Number 7 of the Can Serra street in Palma.
History Bendinat Castle
Bendinat is an old Moorish farm estate, documented in the 13th century with the name ‘Bendinex’.
It has passed through the hands of several families since the 15th century, but it was the marriage between Pedro Caro Álvarez of Toledo and Elisabeth Szécsény Zichy-Ferraris which commissioned the neo-Gothic castle of Bendinat.
Access to the La Real monastery is through a door on the side of the church, there is a two-story cloister, with three point archways supported by spiral columns on the ground floor and fluted pillars on the top floor.
When walking around the heart of Palma, we come across many Majorcan patios that bear witness to history, art and time. One of the most emblematic of these can be found in Can Vivot, on Calle Can Savellà number 4.
The Crystal church is a structure of dazzling beauty, built upon concrete and iron ribs that sustain 39 stained glass windows, providing the building with a mystical aura. The windows depict scenes of nature and the cosmos, characterising the Franciscan order, combined with biblical scenes.
The Jewish community spread out across various areas of Palma, making its mark throughout a large area of the historic centre. Walking round the “call major” and “call menor” we can explore the pretty streets in the city centre.
Dry Stone walls go right back to prehistoric times, we can see examples such as the “navetas” or the “talayots” (local prehistoric structures), and extends further than the Mediterranean, as far as Japan or Cuzco.
The Sant Francesc Royal convent in Palma de Mallorca, set in the square bearing the same name, has a beautiful, perfectly conserved Gothic cloister and constitutes one of the first expressions of this architectural style in Mallorca.
Market and art; until now two almost contradicting words that when placed together in a sentence can even offend those who think that artists come from another planet and that they can survive with just love and air.
The importance and efficiency of using a planning and comprehensive planning and conscious Mallorca goes back to Roman colonization. That is why I have focused my study at this time s. I to V AD. and the territory of Mallorca especially, but found the model is also applicable in most of the territories colonized by the Romans.
In 2013 Mallorca will be celebrating an important anniversary: 300 years since the birth of Father Juníper Serra, whose teachings in the Americas have turned him into one of the most famous figures of local religious history.
The ancient city walls of Palma were knocked down decades ago, but some valuable traces remain: the bastions of Sant Pere and of the Prince, right on the sea front, the only survivors out of the thirteen that marked the ancient renaissance city wall.
The Archaeological museum of Son Fornés is located 2.5 km northwest of the town centre of Montuïri, Mallorca, on the estate which bears the same name which is located 4km from the local road which leads to Pina.
Antonia Tomás has a special way of celebrating Christmas. Each year she creates a nativity scene that has been getting bigger and bigger as time has passed and this year it will stand no less than 34m2 tall.
The patios of the noble houses in Palma are one of the urban elements most characteristic of the city. While today, their preservation constitutes a historical reference that makes the Mallorcan capital unique within Spain, in their age of splendour they were the very symbol of power and status.
A Catholic Cathedral located in Palma de Mallorca.
Popularly known as La Seu, construction began in 1229 and went on for three centuries. In 1931, the building was declared a Historical-Artistic Monument.
When that came out of Siurell figurine, have been attributed to this small flute magic forces. The winds of Mallorca, Gregal, Llevant, Xaloc, Migjorn, Llebeig, Ponent, Mistral and Tramontana, sometimes infused with fear. For the inhabitants were uncontrollable forces of nature to which they were exposed without remedy, and employing the Siurell whistles as a kind of totem to the stormy winds.
Traditional dress plays an important role in Mallorca’s history and culture. Known as the “dress of the countryman” or “baggy dress”, it is the typical clothing worn by the general population in imitation of the upper classes.
Commissioned by Mallorcan financier Joan March Ordinas, the March Palace, located in the old town — specifically, where Conquistador Street meets the steps of the Cathedral, and with its main entrance on Palau Reial Street –, was built between 1939 and 1945.
Between 455 and 534 the island confronted part of the Vandal Kingdom. Already in 425 they had landed in the island, they plundered and destroyed Pollentia. From the year 534, Majorca began to form a part of the Byzantine Empire.
Castellitx, Santa Lucía, Sant Pere d’Escorca, Santa Ana, Sant Miquel de Campanet, La Sangre in Muro, Santa Fe in Palma. Most of these 13th-century Majorcan churches are now 14th century Gothic or completely rebuilt during the centuries that followed.
Capdepera Castle in Mallorca is a fortified structure that surrounded the primitive town of Capdepera, built on the Benifilia settlement. Its construction began with the walls and would have begun in around the year 1300.
The slingshot has played a significant role in the history of the Balearic Islands. It would be impossible to delve into the history of the Balearic Islands without making reference to the Balearic slingers, for the very word, “Balearic”, means, literally, “Master of Throwing”. The islands’ slingers were introduced to the world of slinging at birth.