Castellitx, Santa Lucía, Sant Pere d’Escorca, Santa Ana, Sant Miquel de Campanet, La Sangre in Muro, Santa Fe in Palma. Most of these 13th-century Majorcan churches are now 14th century Gothic or completely rebuilt during the centuries that followed.
Therefore, an interesting route is the one that makes reference to the religious buildings following a model that goes back to the beginnings of the Catalan conquest. They are small churches whose main characteristics are limited dimensions and simple constructions. They share a same construction pattern: a rectangular floor plan, single nave, flat presbytery and wooden beamed apex ceilings, supported by a series of pointed diaphragm arches, scarce openings and great simplicity. It is a simple, economic and practical construction typology, originating in the construction patterns employed by the Catalan order of Cistercians in their monasteries when building household rooms, especially bedrooms and refectories. It was later adopted by the Mendicant orders. These churches have already been above in their corresponding town sections. However, St. Miquel of Campanet’s, which can be reached from the town itself via the diversion to the caves of Campanet, has not been described yet.
The primitive building was constructed in the 13th century, but between 1480 and 1482, it was subject to improvements and enlargements. The dates are written on the interior arches, the second one bearing the signature of Melcion Comes. It has an apex roof rounded off by a 15th-century belfry with a small pointed arch. The building’s portal bears a depressed arch, whereas the main portal has a voussoired rounded arch, sheltered by a small porch with wooden beams and tiles. The ceiling is made of wood and has two pointed diaphragm arches. The chevet, on the eastern facade, shows the remains of a great diaphragm arch, possibly belonging to an old gate. The facade is crowned by a belfry finishing in a cross, located in the angle formed by the roof’s slopes. This could be the primitive 13th century belfry. The sacristy dates from 1408. A Gothic panel depicting Archangel St. Michael presides over the high altarpiece. The low part boasts a Gothic statue of Christ, framed by a niche, which is an object of great devotion by the people. Legend has it that the inhabitants of the neighbouring town of Sa Pobla tried to steal it but they did not succeed in taking it outside the municipal borderline. Other similar buildings, either previously or not, include the small church of St. Mary of Bellver, identified with the chapel of St. Llorenç des Cardassar, in the farm of Son Vives.